Custom scripts will allow you to gather various pieces of data through a phone bank or a canvass. Here, we will create a script for recruiting volunteers and inviting them to an event. You will have to create the event beforehand in order to enter it into the script. Follow this link to learn how to create an event.
1. From the Main Menu of Shared Contacts, click on the Codes • Questions • Scripts and then click Scripts.
2. To add a new script, click Add New Script in the upper right hand corner.
3. Give your script a name and description. Click Next.
4. You will notice 5 elements that you can enter into your script: text, a survey question, an activist code, a volunteer activity or an event.
5. Adding a Text Element:
You will want to begin by entering a text element that introduces yourself and who you are calling for. You will then want to encourage the individual to join Team Justin. Click Add.
6. Survey Questions:
You can also add Survey Questions to your script. To add a Survey Question, select the Survey Question you would like to use during the canvass from the drop down menu under Survey Questions. For a volunteer recruitment phone bank you will want to use the 2015 Volunteer: Field Recruitment survey question.
* This will allow your callers to flag volunteers as Yes, Maybe, or No.
7. Activist Codes:
You can also add Activist Codes to your script. To add an Activist Code, select the Activist Code you would like to use during the canvass from the drop down menu under Activist Codes. Click Add.
8. Adding An Event:
Now, you will want to add the event into the script so that the callers can automatically schedule volunteers as participants to the event. In the Event section, click Add.
A secondary box will appear in which you will select the date of your event, as well as the name of the event. You can then enter the role and click Add. You will want to repeat this step for each of the roles for that event.
9. Select the different walk / phone results that you would like to make available as responses on your script.
CRTC Regulations state that you have to make it easy for your volunteers to add people to the Liberal Party’s Internal Do Not Call list. This means that you have to add the Do Not Call result to all scripts you plan to use for making calls.
Only select the additional Phone / Walk results that you think your volunteers will need in order to successfully track the results of their canvass. Your canvasser will be able to select the responses you choose from any canvassing sheet or Virtual Phone Bank that uses this script.
We suggest that you select “Busy”, “Refused”, “Wrong Number”, “Disconnected” and “Deceased”, as well as any other Phone Results that suit your project. Do not call must always be selected.
10. You can then choose the electoral district(s)/committee(s) that can have access to your script by using the add and remove buttons. If you have only been granted access to one Liberalist committee, you will be able to share your script with only that committee. If you have access to more than one Liberalist committee, the names of all of your committees will appear and you may select which committee you want to give access to the script.
* At any point, if you wish to make changes to the text elements that you have in the script, you can click on Edit on the right hand side of the text element.
You can also rearrange the elements as needed by clicking and dragging the ‘three-lines’ icon beside the element you wish to move.
Once you have completed your script you can then apply it to any Virtual Phone Bank. Click here to learn how to create a Virtual Phone Bank so that you can recruit volunteers and add them as participants to your event.