An E-mail Blast is an integrated tool that allows you to send out mass emails through Liberalist. You can also create targeted lists for your Email Blasts. This allows you to send out your email to those who will find it most relevant and also avoid sending it to those who don’t. There are many types of targeted lists that you might want to create.
– You may want to invite only your volunteers to a volunteer appreciation night
– You may want to send an email only to your expired or soon-to-be expired members asking them to renew their membership
– You may want to exclude some of your contacts that have asked not to be contacted – either by unsubscribing from your team’s emails in the past or indicating that they want to unsubscribe from all LPC emails.
Note: If you send each email to every email address you have access to, you’ll find that your unsubscribe rate goes up significantly and that your emails start landing directly in the junk mail folder – the more people flag your email as spam, the more your emails are likely to go straight to junk mail.
1. Setting Up Your Email List
1. Click on Create a List from the Main Menu to create a list of your recipients. You can create a list as simple or complicated as you’d like. If you need any help or tips on creating a list, contact the Liberalist Support Team.
2. Once you have your list, you’ll need to ensure that you are not emailing anyone who has unsubscribed. To do so, click on Edit Search from the My List page and select Remove People.
3. Scroll down to the Activist Codes box and click (>) to open it. Click on Activist Code.
4. Tick the boxes for Email: Unsub: All and Email and Email: Unsubscribe: Riding. Always remove people who have those Activist Codes.
5. You can click Run Search or you can choose to narrow your list further to people who only have email addresses. Select Narrow People.
6. Scroll down to the Email box and click (>) to open it. Open the Source field and select Check All.
7. You can continue to narrow your list to the people who you think will find your email relevant – or at least unsurprising. The most common Create a List boxes for this are Activist Codes, Location, and Events.
2. Setting Up Your Email Blast
1. From the My List page, click the Emails icon on your icon bar. If you cannot see an Emails icon, your account does not have access to the Email Blast tool. Please contact your Liberal Help Desk Team for assistance.
2. The New Blast Email page will guide you through the process of setting up a blast email. First give this Email Blast a Name. The Blast Email Name will only be visible to your team. It is used in analyzing the relative success of your Email Blasts over time and in building lists based on past Email Blasts. You may wish to add a description to give greater detail. When you are done, click Next.
3. Select the appropriate Form Email from the drop down list. If you have not yet created the Form Email you are planning to send, click the New Form Email button. For assistance in creating a Form Email, please see Setting up a Form Email. When you have selected the Form Email you want to use, click Next.
4. Select the date and time you want your Email Blast to be sent. Email Blasts cannot be scheduled in the past. You are asked to schedule your email blast at least an hour in the future for two reasons:
- Scheduling them in advance allows the system to bundle multiple blasts together and keep other functions running smoothly.
- You can cancel an Email Blast up to five minutes before it is sent. Scheduling your blast in advance gives your team extra time to revise and recall an Email Blast.
5. When you have selected a date and time, click Next.
6. The Preview step allows you to see your Blast Email as it will be seen by a sample recipient. The unsubscribe link has been added at the bottom of the preview email, just as it will be added to the emails sent out in your Email Blast. If you are not satisfied with the Preview, you can edit your Form Email by clicking Save and Exit, going back to the Main Menu, opening the Letters • Emails menu, clicking on Form Emails and selecting your Form Email.
8. Liberalist gives you another opportunity to check your Blast Email before it is sent by offering you the opportunity to send a test email to yourself or to a colleague. When you have sent a test email, click Next.
Note: Test emails do not replace variables with information from the individual’s Liberalist profile.
9. The Payment page shows you whether or not your Email Plan covers the scheduled Email Blast.
- If your Plan covers the Email Blast: Click Next.
- If your list contains more recipients than are covered under your Email Plan: Click Purchase Plan to upgrade your plan. For more information on purchasing an Email Plan, see Setting up your Email Plan. When you are returned to the Payment page, click Next.
Return to the My List page to Narrow your List or to Remove People from your list, such that your list is small enough to be covered by your Email Plan. Click the Emails icon to begin the Email Blast process again.