Reaching out to your riding’s contacts and voters by phone is far more effective than communicating through email. Making calls is a great way for volunteers to lend a hand and is an effective way to have meaningful conversations with voters in the community.
Making phone calls can be a bit daunting for volunteers. This guide will go through how to access the Virtual Phone Bank in Liberalist and provide helpful tips for making calls!
1. Start on either the Shared Contacts or My Voters side of the database
● If you do not know which tab you should be phoning from, ask your volunteer coordinator.
● Make sure you are on the right tab, otherwise you won’t be able to view the phone bank you want!
2. Select the Virtual Phone Bank icon
● It should be in the bottom right-hand corner of your menu.
3. Accessing your VPB
● If a VPB has been shared with you, you will see the title of the VPB appear.
● Otherwise, enter the VPB code.
● If you do not have a VPB code, ask your VPB coordinator.
● Press Next.
4. Entering your Postal code
If Liberalist asks you to enter your postal code, this means that VPB will have you call people who live closest to you first. Type in your postal code and press Next.
5. Interface of the VPB
A. The Progress bar:
● At the top of the page, you may see the progress bar. This can display either the entire phone bank progress or your personal progress. You will see the bar go up as you and your team make phone calls.
B. Household Members
● Here you may be able to see all the individuals at the household that you are calling.
C. Your Contact
● The name of the first person in the household will be the one displayed below. Ensure that you select the correct household member when entering data in the script.
D. The Script
● The script is included below for easy reference, but do familiarize yourself with the script before starting your phone calls! This will make you sound more confident on the phone.
E. Additional Info:
● You may be able to view additional information for the contact such as another phone number or email address. Some of the additional information may also be modifiable depending on the way the coordinator set up the phone bank. This will allow you take make changes to the data in the system.
6. Making your calls!
■ Make sure you familiarize yourself with the script prior to starting to make calls. Practice with another phone canvasser to get comfortable.
■ The VPB will show you the first person on your list, including their name and phone number. It will also show you the script you should use when calling and the options you have for editing the information in each person’s profile (eg. their address). Familiarize yourself with your script and your options before you pick up the phone.
■ Pick up the phone! Dial the number of the first person on your list and use your script to complete the call.
■ Enter the appropriate canvass results in the script.
■ ***IMPORTANT*** You have to enter a call result or a script answer for every person you talk to. If you do not enter any information for a person you have called, they will STAY on the list and someone will call them again.
■ Remember to smile as you dial! The contact can tell the difference!
■ Once you have entered the information from your call, make sure to click Save/Next so the information is saved in the person’s profile and you can make your next call.
7. Using the Event Scheduler
While making your calls, if someone indicates that they would be interested in participating in an event in your riding, you can easily schedule them using the Event Scheduler. Using this tool, you will be able to mark the participant as ‘Scheduled’ or ‘Confirmed’ for any upcoming event.
1. Click the ‘Schedule for Events’ button
2. In the Event Scheduler, you can limit the amount of events that are displayed by changing the filters.
3. Once the event appears on the page (make sure the date and time are correct), you can then mark the person on the phone as ‘Scheduled’ or ‘Confirmed’ from the Status drop-down.
4. Click on Save and Close.
5. Your participant will then be added as an attendees to that event!